Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:57:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yest one more: devel/crosssco

> I agree.  The way I viewed it (obviously mistaken here) is that a developer
> of a package can look at the output and suggest a course of action.

Yes, you were unfortunately mistaken.  A given developer _can_ look at
the output and suggest a course of action, but far more frequently
doesn't have time to actually do so and hence your approach is one
that generates too low of a rate of return for the effort expended.

A failure report _with_ an attached diff to fix it, implying a far
more in-depth analysis of the error, at least, even if the fix turns
out to be incorrect, is what will most effectively catch the attention
of the overworked developers we have these days.

> Instead I got a (useful) lecture on how out of date my system is.

Yeah, well, that's what happens when you take the wrong approach -
people pick out whatever requires the least work in your message to
respond to. :-)

					Jordan