Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 02:51:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, ahd@kew.com, hackers@hub.freebsd.org, support@kew.com

> actually..  yes it does...  the mail from: is exactly that... the return
> path...  i.e. if it isn't resolvable, then it's not a valid return path...
> now if you provide a uucp address.. then it's a bit harder to verify
> that it's valid...

No it's not.  You only have to validate the UUCP relay domain, not the
UUCP address, unless *you* are the relay, in which case it's coming in
through you, and you have listed the uucp hosts which connect directly
to you both as machines you MX for (to allow outbound relay to them, and
to allow inbound relay to any address by them).

The relay takes effect *after* the spam countermeasures.

For a spammer UUCP site relaying through you: change their password;
I've never seen one anyway, mostly because the route information is
much better than sendmail's because the "for <address>" is an optional
component of the "Received:" timestamp line (RFC821, page 32).

> personally... I think that it isn't bad any more... considering how easy
> it is to fix, (I posted the fix a couple days ago) I'm actually heading
> twards the end that forces it to resolve... :)

This neglects the case of a machine acting as the domain for which it
is a member in order to send mail.

It also neglects the point of browsers on PCs that you yourself raised
earlier: Eudora, IEx.x, and NetScape all can send mail without a valid
return address.  As can "cyberbomber", etc..  Consider someone like
that, who nevertheless subscribes to the list with a valid return address.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.