Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 1997 23:21:48 MET
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        n5ptn@bga.com (Michael Lay)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE Problem?

> Is the note about IDE support being alpha quality apply only to the CDROM's
> or all IDE devices?  I have obtained the Walnut Creek 2.1.5 August 1996
> CDROM set and am having problems trying to install it.  I am on an all IDE
> system though.  System is:
>
>       ??? Motherboard w/PCI and VLB  (UMC I think, but it doesn't say anywhere!)
>         32MEG Ram
>         Conner 400Meg HD
>         Seagate ST-1090A  HD (75Meg)
>         NEC (Oak) IDE CD-ROM
>         SMC Ultra/16 Ethernet combo card
>         1.44M diskette
>         1.2M  diskette
>         SVGA Card w/1Meg Ram

Check out the IDE controller chip. I am suffering from an UMC board with
the CDM 640B IDE controller. As long as I use only the primary channel,
(master is a conner disk, slave is Mitsumi ATAPI FX100 CD-Rom) everything
works fine. But I cannot use the secondary IDE-Channel, i. e. three or
for IDE-Devices.
So you might be able to install successfully by just using the primary
IDE-Channell

Have fun!
Wolfgang Helbig