Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:50:54 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org, dgl@bsdi.com, jim@cdrom.com, papowell@astart.com, wpaul@FreeBSD.org, ceren@magnesium.net, ryan@ryan.net, murray@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: The website

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 12:52:43PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Go For It!

Thanks.  But I stress that I want to see others "going for it" as well.

The past few posts from me have outlined what I think needs to be done on
the doc. project.  This is not the same thing as what I, personally, can
accomplish on the doc. project -- certainly not unless someone wants to
fund me to do it, and even then I have existing and up-coming commitments
that make this sort of tricky.

If you (generic "you") have read anything here and think "I could do that"
or "I was looking for a way to contribute" or even "I'm a CS student and
need to do a project in order to graduate, that looks interesting" then
say so.

> A few comments:
>
>    * Database driven content is OK, as long as it is not the main page,
>      currently our cvs-web and search engines work OK in the overall
>      mirror strategy.

Depends.  If we rely on database content for the majority of the site then
we may as well not bother with mirrors.  While this is tempting, I don't
think it's going to be possible to put www.freebsd.org anywhere that's
sufficiently well connected that the rest of the planet can get to it
without worrying about latency or downtime.

>    * Other topic for dynamic content: supported hardware.

Already covered.  See my messages to -doc and -current about this.  However,
while this would be dynamic, it would be generated when the web site is
built periodically, rather than on the fly each time.

>    * Other topic for dynamic content: I would like if cvsweb somehow
>      could locate all files relevant to a specific commit, I know this
>      is somewhat difficult but It would be nice anyway.

Don't know if CVS can even do this.  Joe K had a prototype implementation
that does this, but as I recall it needed a backend database and took a
few hours to index the source tree.

>    * Other topic for dynamic content: HTML'ed page with the last 24h
>      of commit logs, ie: pointers into cvsweb to see the diffs.

Code contributions to do this welcome.

>    * Other topic for dynamic content: A place to keep track of patchsets
>      up for review, test and comment.  Ie: submitter provides patch and
>      comments and a page is created, linked to from the patchindex and
>      it is added to the "new or updated" patches.  submitter can update
>      patch as it develops.  One way would be to define a convention like:
> 	$HOME/review/$patchname/{README,*}

Yep, like it.  Anyone want to develop this further?