Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:57:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        John Smith <tiburon359@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New netgraph features?

John Smith writes:
> Well, may be I didn't said exactly what I wanted to.
> If we use say, ksocket nodes as a tunnel, we will
> transfer the data - ok, but what about metadata?
> May be I should say 'to connect two netgraphs'?
> May be this is a lost cause, but that's why I'm asking.

Yes, there would need to be some extra stuff. Here are some
quick possibilities..

- We'd need to enhace the definition of a netgraph address
  to include, say, an IP address, eg.:

    $ ngctl msg 192.168.1.12:foo: blah blah

- Encode control messsages in their ASCII forms for transit
  across the network

- Pick a well known UDP port to be used for netgraph messages
  and data packets

- Create a node type that could listen on this port (using ng_ksocket)
  and do the required encoding/decoding.

-Archie