Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:10:20 -0500
From:      Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Kirchner <dpk@dpk.net>
Subject:   Re: 5.4 Hanging, have some DDB output, unable to get panic dump

On Oct 3, 2005, at 13:01, David Kirchner wrote:
> I was seeing this error with 5.4-RELEASE, on a machine with 4GB, and
> when using PAE. Are you using PAE? If so, you'll need to either
> upgrade to 5-STABLE or apply a 2 line patch to your 5.4-STABLE system
> (the patch hasn't been committed to that branch yet, it should
> probably be committed to 5-4.RELEASE-p*). You can find the patch by
> searching the archives for "PAE" and "pmap.c".

Thanks for the response, from what I'm finding from my search, it
looks like you mean this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-stable/2005-August/
017607.html

and the referenced patch:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/i386/pmap.c.diff?
r1=1.523&r2=1.524&f=h

But, the version I'm running as listed above shows to have pmap.c:

__FBSDID("$FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/i386/pmap.c,v 1.494.2.10 2005/08/08
15:33:53 jhb Exp $");

which already has the new code (and I'm having a hang, not the panic
that was described without that patch).

Or did I find some articles that was not what you were referring to?

FYI: Just to describe the hang a bit more, I do get some response
from the machine, it just cannot do any useful work.  For instance,
on the console:

     If I hit return at "login:", I get a new "login:" prompt, but as
soon as I enter a username+^M or Ctrl-D it, I cease to receive any
feedback besides terminal echo from my input.

     If I'm logged in on the console I can even hit return in the
shell and get a new shell prompt, but any command I try (i.e.
'uptime' or 'uname') then results in the same lack of any further
response.

     Plus, I cannot DDB "db> panic" the box as that then produces a
hard-hang, so no sync+core and then I don't even get tty echo from my
input.

Thanks,
Philip