Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:49:29 -0500
From:      Noah Dunker <ndunker@jccc.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Laptop - Garbled Keyboard?

This is really baking my noodle.  I acquired an IBM ThinkPad 755C (which I
lovingly
refer to as the "StinkPad") and FreeBSD /really/ hates the keyboard on it.
The
keyboard works fine within BTX.  I can type whatever I want, however I want
before
the kernel loads.

I built a new kernel with:

options		PCVT_SCANSET=2

As shown in the "kernelconfig.html" part of the handbook, which seems to be
the only
documented "ThinkPad" specific thing in the kernel, saying the ThinkPad uses
a non-
standard keyboard.  Since i can get in with BTX, I fed it the new kernel
path, and It
didn't make a darn bit of difference.  Telnetting in and running uname -a, I
could verify
the new kernel was indeed running, and not the GENERIC kernel.

I can't remember what all it does, but I remember that the letter "a"
produces 2 carriage
returns, and most of the "dead keys" such as Shift, Control, and Alt will
produce normal
letters or strange control characters, making it impossible to cleanly shut
down the
system from the console.

Any clues on this one?