Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:25:46 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Harry Reid <harj7338@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: accounting package

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 09:30 -0500, Harry Reid wrote:
> I am looking for a client server accounting package for industrial equipment
> dealers and distributors that will handle serialized whole good inventory,
> parts inventory and a service shop.  Text based Unix or Linux platform is
> fine.  Any recommendations?

I've been using sql-ledger for a while, it has good inventory/bills of
material stuff:

<quote>
With the assembly feature you can build manufactured goods from parts,
services, labor units and assemblies. When the assembly is sold all the
accounts linked to the individual parts, services, labor units and
assemblies are updated and stock levels adjusted accordingly. If an item
belonging to an assembly is changed all assemblies are updated as well.
</quote>

And, just as importantly, I'm aware of no other open source package that
has the same range of functionality.

http://www.sql-ledger.org

Peter.