Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 02:47:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      FreeBSD Question <question@blink.dhs.org>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with sound card in FreeBSD-3.2

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Mohit Aron wrote:

> Thanks - I had earlier managed to turn it on by booting using the "-c" option
> and then typing the pnp command as documented in pcm(4). However, the above
> was even more promising because now I no longer have to boot in a "special"
> way. Unfortunately the above feature doesn't seem to be documented (couldn't
> find it in manpages, handbook or tutorial). By the way, creating the above
> /boot/kernel.conf file wasn't enough - the /boot/defaults/loader.conf by
> default doesn't read /boot/kernel.conf; I had to create a /boot/loader.conf
> containing a 'userconfig_script_load="YES"' line to make it read
> /boot/kernel.conf.

check out /sys/i386/isa/sound and /sys/i386/isa/snd
You notice that there are two sound directories and wonder why.
As you might have guessed, "sound" dir is for snd0 and "snd" is pcm0
go into the snd dir and look at CARDS and README.
It explains how to configure pnp devices more then enough to get them
running.

Btw, I assumed you knew how to handle /boot/kernel.conf and
/boot/loader.conf since these are very basic stuffs :-)