Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:15:19 -0800
From:      "Jeff Hobbs" <jeffh@ActiveState.com>
To:        <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        pst@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: net/tclDP

> In 1996 Paul Traina (pst) removed the net/tclDP port. I
> remember good things about the package from circa 1994-95 and
> am willing to port it to Tcl-8.4 -- the project has a
> SourceForge page since last February, although it did not
> have new releases since 1997.
>
> Do you think, it is worth the while, or is all/most of the
> functionality now in the core Tcl?

The Tcl core has made a lot of the functionality in Tcl-DP
easier to implement in raw Tcl, but there is still some
advantages that it provides as a package.  I would be happy
to add you as a developer on the SF project (tcldp) if you
would like to work on it.

There was an unreleased 4.0 version that did a lot of the
Tcl-based work ... I don't know what the status of that is,
but Gerald Lester is one name I remember associated with it.

Regards,

  Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
  http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos