Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 2016 08:35:52 -0600
From:      Brandon J. Wandersee <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating ZFS on Linux pools to FreeBSD

Matthew Seaman writes:

>> I understand FreeBSD's ZFS implementation is more mature and pre-dates
>> the Linux port, and some web searches indicate the two may not be
>> entirely compatible.

To add to what Matthew said: if FreeBSD uses a more recent version of
zpool, and you run `zpool upgrade` on FreeBSD, I presume that would be a
point of no return. And while I can't say for certain--since I've never
tried it--actively sharing a single zpool between two operating systems
might be a bit of a pain. You'd need to export the pool from one system
and then import it to the other on every boot, no?

In short, permanently moving a pool from Linux to FreeBSD shouldn't be
any hassle. Moving in the other direction, however...

   		      :: Brandon Wandersee ::
                  :: brandon.wandersee@gmail.com ::