Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 23:32:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Johnson <cjohnson@sloth.wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        David Daugherty <davidd@datasphereweb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basic access from console

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, David Daugherty wrote:

> Is there any way for me to gain access to a 3.4 box's file system without
> knowing any login passwords or accounts other then root? I have console
> access so I suppose I could boot into single user mode. But I'm not sure
> what to do from there. Maybe through the toor account?
>
> Someone who quit our company recently used this for a development box and
> we need to see exactly what code he was working on.
>
> On a side note, would this be the same for a linux box? Say, maybe debian
> or RedHat.
>
> David Daugherty
> david.daugherty@netmanage.com
> NetMange - The Bridge to E-Business

If you're willing to take the machine down, all you need to do is remove
the drive and install it on another machine.  You can use disklabel to
discover which partitions are present and then mount them.  This way, you
don't have to worry about permissions or access to the machine.  I had to
do this recently when dealing with some severe filesystem corruption, and
it works quite well.

Chris Johnson
cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu
WCUG: lather, rinse, repeat.