Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:03:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jason Young <doogie@forbidden-donut.anet-stl.com>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Someone needs to re-develop "Softupdates"

> I should probably know better than to get involved in a BSD - GPL
> licensing debate but that above statement "Score 1 for the GPL" was just
> too dumb to leave unanswered, I'm sorry. The fact that there's some

More importantly, it's starting up a whole new thread of irrelevant
licensing chatter in -current and we just got done with lots of
irrelevant chatter in -current which I do NOT want to see again.

Both John Kelly and Karl have been warned in the strongest possible
terms that another debate of that nature in -current will not be
tolerated and if they want to discuss this then they're more than free
to do so in *** -CHAT ***, where this thread has now been redirected
but doing so inappropriately in -current will get them thrown right
off the mailing lists.  Any patience I might have had was well worn
out by that last stupid exchange.

If we'd also taken some bogusly licensed code into -current then I
might be able to see it as a subject for discussion in -current, but
we have not.  The licensed item in question is purely a user add-on
and subject to user approval - nobody's getting a poison pill simply
as a result of cvsuping the latest bits.

I also note with annoyance Karl's usual suggestion that "somebody"
rewrite it, conveniently stepping into the background afterwards to
wait for someone to exert their efforts in order to increase his
profit margins.  He suggests that he'd donate money if he got a vote
of some sort, but the reality of the situation is much more likely
that he'd sooner part with his own life than spend a penny on anyone
but Karl Denninger, and the whole "vote" thing is just a convenient
smoke screen to justify the fact that he's made money off of FreeBSD
for years now and never had the slightest inclination to give anything
(but lots of grief, it appears) back.  Scrooge McDuck would probably
stand in deep admiration of Karl's fiscal policies, that's for sure.

Bah.  You give some people the shirt off your bank and they'll thank
you.  Others, however, will point to your shoes and demand those also.
It's enough to make you wish they'd dropped the bomb, though I suppose
that if it's possible for cockroaches to survive then those folks will
also.

					Jordan