Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:48:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SONY SMO-C501-09 not recognized under CAM

Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > One question I have is this -- once the media is spinning, how long
> > does it take to do a read capacity?  You can find out like this:
> >
> > /usr/bin/time camcontrol cmd -t 60 -v -n da -u 2 -c "25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" -i 8 "i4 i4"
>
> <SONY SMO-C501-00 2.07>            at scbus2 target 3 lun 0 (pass13,da5)
>
> 576998 512
>         0.04 real         0.01 user         0.01 sys

Looks good.

> > What happens if the media is not spinning and you do a read capacity?
> > Does the drive try to spin itself up?
>
> eisa-test# camcontrol stop -n da -u 5
> Unit stopped successfully
> eisa-test# camcontrol tur -n da -u 5
> Unit is not ready
> eisa-test# /usr/bin/time camcontrol cmd -t 60 -v -n da -u 5 -c "25 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 0 0" -i 8 "i4 i4"
> 576998 512
>         0.04 real         0.00 user         0.02 sys
> eisa-test# camcontrol tur -n da -u 5
> Unit is not ready
>
> It doesn't spin it up if its been spun down.

Okay, so it caches the information.

> > The default timeout for the read capacity in the DA driver is 5
> > seconds. If the MO drive attempts, for whatever reason, to spin itself
> > up when it gets a read capacity, we may need to bump the timeout on
> > the read capacity commmand.
>
> Once the drive eats the disk it reads the capacity.  My unit doesn't -not-
> do a read capacity.  I haven't seen it 'forget' the capacity either.

What happens if you reset the device?  Will it forget then?  You can send a
BDR to it like this:

camcontrol reset 2:3:0

One difference between a probe and a rescan is that we send a bus reset
before the probe.

> I just hooked up a second unit to the system and booted w/o a media unit.
>
> A start/tur on the pass device followd by a rescan doesn't result in the
> device being attached to the da driver.

Nope, I'm sure it didn't.  If the device hasn't changed, it won't get
broadcasted out to all of the peripheral drivers.

And did you have the patch I suggested in scsi_da.c?  That will probably
allow you to boot without media.

> Any chance that camcontrol could gaing the ability to remove a device from
> the system?  'camcontrol detach' maybe?

I suppose that's possible, but I'd rather just fix things so that the
da driver attaches properly.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry