Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 01:40:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl driver for 3Com

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Dennis had to
walk into mine and say:

> I dunno what it is, but we've had customers experiencing packet loss at
> high usage on 100Mb's nets...and the problem goes away when replacing them
> with intels. I dont know the details.

Then *FIND THEM OUT*! Replacing the cards does not fix the problem! How
is anybody supposed to be able to help you if a) you never tell anybody
about the trouble, b) you destroy the test configuration where the problem
occurs, thereby assuring that nobody will be able to duplicate it again,
and c) you don't even lift a finger to investigate!

This is ridiculous! People ask me to fix stuff, they expect the world!
You ask them what's going on, they don't know the details! That's just
wonderful! You know, I should use that myself! "Hey Bill: my network
crashed." "Well, there's probably something you could do to fix that
but I don't know the details." Yes! I like it! Instead of trying to help
people, I'll be maddeningly vague! I'll pretend to be helpful but stop
short of actually providing any useful information! Then everyone else
will go insane instead of me, society will collapse, and I can take over
the world while everyone's distracted!

You know if they ever find a way to harness sarcasm as an energy source,
you people are all going to owe me big.

-Bill