Date:      Sat, 1 May 2004 13:14:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        "Ed Stover" <estover@nativenerds.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Squid, SquidGuard, FreeBSD

> Has any one successfully done squid with squidGuard on a FreeBSD
> later then 4.5 ? I have made it work on 4.5 but nothing later
> because of the berkly db changes after 4.5, if you have made
> contentent filtering work on FreeBSD-current can I get some tips? I
> like 4.5 but 4.9 has better hardware coverage.

Is SquidGuard still limited to only filtering the URL of the requested
page, or does it actually check the text content of the page?

Have you considered DansGuardian (www/dansguardian*)?  It has the same
URL filtering abilities of SG, but also includes support for filtering
based on client username, client IP, webserver IP, domain, URL, text
content, weighted text content, file extension, MIME-type, and PICS
rating.  No hard numbers for the current 2.6 and 2.7 versions, but DG
2.2 and 2.4 were several times faster than SquidGuard (whichever
version was out then) for URL processing.

Just something to consider.  Not sure what your needs or requirements
are, but thought I'd offer up an alternative.  :)

PS: If you decide to install the Dansguardian port(s), there's an
issue with dansguardian-devel where it doesn't install a complete
startup shell script.  You'll have to edit that manually (not sure how
that one got past my tests).

--
Freddie Cash
fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca