Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:27:34 +0700 (JAVT)
From:      waskita adijarto <waskita@itb.ac.id>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   buggy 3c509 driver

* situation:
 I used 3c509 Combo ISA ethernet card in some of my FreeBSD routers.

*result:
 - in heavy traffic, "no buffer space available" messages appeared in
   syslogd.
 - the card become unable to receive/transmit packet, after that

*temporary (quick) solution:
  reboot the machine whenever 'no buffer space available' messages start
  to show up in syslogd.
*permanent solution:
  - replace the 3c509 cards with NE2000 cards (or anything),
  - put the 3c509 cards in non router machines (e.g: windoze box').

*question:
 - is there a way to use 3c509 cards in FreeBSD ? patches ?
   otherwise the cards will spend their lives in windoze box  :-(
 - 3COM 3c509 driver is listed as (buggy) in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT.
   Is this what it means as (buggy) ?

-wasz-