Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:39:38 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, roam@orbitel.bg (Peter Pentchev)
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru (Andrey A. Chernov), n@nectar.com (Jacques A. Vidrine), arch@FreeBSD.ORG, kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: rand.c patch for review (was: Re: cvs commit: ports/astro/xglobe/files patch-random)

At 3:17 AM +0000 2/27/01, Terry Lambert wrote:
>I know of at least two games which depend on the random number
>generator producing repeatable results in order to have maps
>that are actually fully navigable.  I rather doubt their vendors
>will carry around their own working generators so that their
>code will run on FreeBSD, if it runs on Linux without such hacks.

As an aside, I wonder if this explains some games I have
played in the past, which had a habit of producing "random
maps" which were simply unwinnable for me...

Still, for this specific point, any game-vendor who NEEDS a
repeatable random-number sequence SHOULD implement their own
random number generator.  It would be pretty trivial to do,
after all, and if I'm selling a game I don't think I would
ask a variety of operating systems to produce random numbers,
and then trust that all of those operating systems will give
me the exact same list...