Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:21:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE now available!

> It seems that Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> > countries, perhaps?  A French version and, of course, Italian?  I
>
> I already posted (in  english for lack of  time) the announce in the french
> BSD newsgroup.
>
> > addresses like ``anmerkung@de.freebsd.org'' to DTRT.  C'mon, folks,
> > let's get more regional resources online and put them under the
> > "umbrella" of freebsd.org!  One mail exchanger and majordomo server
> > per country is all it takes!
>
> I'm not  the maintainer of a particular  machine in France,  but I think we
> could  do that on  this one.

Well, I think we can set some minimum standards here, at least, so that
anyone wishing to send me a DNS entry knows what to do *first* before
contacting me:

	1. The host for <dom>.freebsd.org should use majordomo to manage
	   its list(s) so that sending mail to majordomo@<dom>.freebsd.org
	   can be assumed to work with the same syntax (we should probably
	   even agree to run the same version of majordomo everwhere).

	2. The host should have list entries (real lists, not aliases!)
	   for announce, hackers, stable, current, questions & bugs,
	   at a minimum.  Any other lists like "platforms" or "scsi" could
	   be optional.  If the list names are also translated (e.g. you have
	   "frage" instead of "questions" or something), then the translated
	   names should be done as aliases for the english names, or vice-
	   versa.  Just so long as both work at each domain contact point.

	3. The host should subscribe its regional mailing lists to the
	   main lists on freebsd.org, and those subscribers directly on the
	   main lists should move their subscriptions to the regional
	   contact point as soon as it's convenient.

I would also like to talk with people in the various countries about
appointing a region-wide ftp server as the default one.  I don't know
which criteria you'll use, but it would be nice if ftp.<dom>.freebsd.org
would go somewhere meaningful for each value of <dom>.

Comments?

						Jordan