Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:26:58 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gcc(1) manpage (was: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_sig.c)

This message appeared on cvs-src@ and should be on -current@

----- Forwarded message from Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org> -----

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:31:26 +0100
To: Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: cvs-src@FreeBSD.org
Cc: cvs-all@FreeBSD.org

Hi,

> This version number in the gcc(1) manpage is really the least of the
> problems...  The GCC guys don't maintain the manpage anymore, as they
> prefer the info page to document things now.  The gcc(1) manpage hasn't
> been updated since _long_.  In short, it's not only a matter of getting
> the latest manpage from the GCC project, it's a matter of synchronizing
> this manpage with the (huge) GCC info page and it's a significant job.

I would take advantage of this thread to ask what people think about
converting gcc(1) info page to a manual page.  Of course, this manual
page wouldn't be very academic but IMHO, it would keep the Unix
tradition of having a single manual page containing all informations
about the software.

It appears there is a tool called info2man [1] : this is a Perl script
that first use info2pod and then pod2man.  I agree this is ugly, but
modulo some tweaks, the result seems to be quite readable [2] as a
manual page.

Juste my 2 cents :-).

Regards,

[1] ports/textproc/info2man