Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:32:52 -0700
From:      "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@lehub.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which laptop? Any comment on the vaios?

I'll also endorse the ThinkPads.  My TP600 has been chugging away steadily for
the past year; it rides on my motorcycle when I do, and I've worn the
plating off in few spots.  Only objection is that the BIOS likes to reset
itself sometimes, which means that I have to put it back into Windows mode
to reset everything to the way I like it.

My former company shifted from Toshiba to ThinkPads largely because
reliability issues.  Also, IBM has a long parts life-cycle commitment on
the ThinkPads, which is a concern if you're big enough to have a large
number of them floating around in the world or if you think that you'd
like your 266 MHz machine to still be repairable in two years.  Most
vendors will just hang you out to dry, or force you to upgrade to their
latest and greatest (which usually isn't).

On the other hand, it is true that IBM has had some very bad ThinkPad
models in the past, so I think that all I can strictly  recommend are
the TP600 and the TP570.

I'On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:30:43 MDT, Sendmail channeled Nate Williams saying:
> > Anyways, I have a feeling most ppl run into these kinds of shit no matter
> > which laptop they buy, anyone have any positive reports?
>
> We've had *tremendous* luck with ThinkPads.  My company bought a
> boatload of them (100 or so...) for a govt. project, drilled a number of
> holes in them so we could use external batteries, and then handed them
> out to 18 year old army guys during field excercises.
>
> As you can imagine, they were dropped, kicked, spit on, and had all sort
> of weirdness done to them.  They fixed/replaced every one of them that
> got broken (after a while they finally got the message that the holes we
> put in the cases were intentional, cause they kept sending us 'fixed'
> cases for the first 4-5).
>
> Even a year after the boxes were out of date and the Trackpoints were
> going bad they fixed them for free.
>
> In short, IBM has been great.  Yes, they are expensive, but as long as
> you buy them from IBM (and not from someplace like RadioShack that
> claims to do its own warranty work), then you'll get great service.
>

> Nate

| Kenton A. Hoover                                  | shibumi@marchordie.org |
|  Private Citizen                                  |                        |
| San Francisco, California                         |                        |
|       Ah, that old collective guilt. Us melanin-deficient Americans        |
|        must accept responsibility for what our forebears did to            |
|        African-Americans.  Well, speak for yourself, cracker! While        |
|        your distant kin were doing their inbred thing in the Ozarks,       |
|        mine were being chased by Cossacks.                                 |
|                    -- Don Feder speaking about Clinton's apology for       |
|                         slavery during his 1998 Africa tour                |