Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:12:48 -0500
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        cfs-users@research.att.com
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, green@freebsd.org, cfs-users@nsa.research.att.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   cfs and memory usage . . .

I use the FreeBSD "port" of cfs, and I have noticed that it is very
greedy in using memory.

Now, I'm a little unfriendly to it now in that I have a number of cfs
file systems set up but even when I only had one or two it would behave
the same way:

Memory usage is fine for "normal" activities, but if I do something that
scans lots of files, such as running a "find" command that greps over
the files in the CFS area or something, memory usage will shoot up to
astronomical levels (eg, over 300M or more).

And that memory will never be freed.

This will so exhaust memory that the system will frequently crash not
long afterwards.

Now, it looks like cfs is *meant* to respond to a SIGALRM and clean up
memory that's no longer needed, and additionally to go through this
cleanup automatically every 60 seconds:

	signal(SIGALRM,grimreap);
	alarm(60); /* every 60 secs */

(at the end of main).

But it looks like something is preventing this from happening, or the
grimreap routine just never agrees to clean up anything.

I know that there are parameters I can tune to use less total memory but
I'm wondering if other people have seen this behavior and what, if
anything you did to deal with it.

Thanks for any hints that anybody can offer.