Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:29:35 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who broke sort(1) ?

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 01:43:38PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 10:17:41PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> > flat# date | sort +5n
> > sort: open failed: +5n: No such file or directory
> >
> > This breaks the build in libncurses...
> >

> POSIX via wollman.
>
> See revision 1.58 of /usr/include/unistd.h, i.e.,
>
> /* Define the versions we target for compliance. */
> #define _POSIX_VERSION          200112L
> #define _POSIX2_VERSION         200112L
>

> See email in the last 24 hours from walt about
> problems building libc and Tim Robbins response
> to the problem.

I didn't read src/contrib/gnu-sort/lib/posixver.c carefully enough to
notice that it uses the the _POSIX2_VERSION macro, I thought it only used
the environment variable by that same name.

A workaround might be to #undef _POSIX2_VERSION after #include'ing <unistd.h>
in posixver.c but I don't think that would be correct. It's probably better
to either change all the scripts that use the obsolescent +pos -pos syntax
to use the new -k syntax or to change _POSIX2_VERSION back to whatever it
was before. I think the second is more realistic.

Tim