Date:      29 Jan 2003 17:15:13 -0500
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery " KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-mobile list <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help w/ palm pilot infrared hotsync.

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 16:56, George Hartzell wrote:
> So far, I've built a kernel that {mis,}recognizes the IrDA device on
> IO_COM3 and irq 10, although it claimes it's "type 16550A", which
> doesn't sound too happy.

Mine is recognized as a 16550A as well.  You won't get very far if the
ports and/or IRQ are wrong, though.

You need to make sure the IR port is configured in the BIOS as an SIR
device, and if it provides a way to specify the port/IRQ (as opposed to
PnP autoconfigure) you should do so.

To use it for hotsync, choose a pty to use (I use /dev/[pt]typv) and run
(assuming IO_COM3 is correct; change the /dev/ttyd? as appropriate):

	irs -d /dev/ttyd2 -y /dev/ptypv -c

You then use /dev/ttypv as the hotsync device.

>   - are the various irda protocol things somewhere in the kernel, or
>     do they all happen up in userland (e.g. birda)?

Someone was working on a netgraph implementation of IrDA, but I've not
heard anything about it since sometime in August.  Currently there's
only the birda userland implementation, so only SIR devices (which look
like ordinary serial ports to the OS) are supported.

>   - when gpilotd claims to be able to support IrDA, how much help does
>     it need from the kernel, or birda, or???

gpilotd's IrDA support is, as far as I can tell, Linux-specific.  Linux
has kernel support for IrDA.  (The same goes for its USB support; it
doesn't know how to use FreeBSD's USB implementation.)

>   - Any pointers on how I might debug the situation?

Start out by running "irs -v9 -d /dev/ttyd? -c" and seeing if irs sees
the Palm when you start the hotsync.  It should print out the details of
the IrDA discovery.  If it doesn't, you need to look into which device
it should be using, IRQs, etc.  If it does, try the example given in the
irs manpage (adding the -d /dev/ttyd?; the default is correct for NetBSD
but not for FreeBSD).  Once that works you can run the command I gave
above from a /usr/local/etc/rc.d script and enter the slave end of the
pty in the GNOME-Pilot configuration applet.

--
brandon s allbery [openafs/solaris/japh/freebsd] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [linux/heimdal/too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu