Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:45:09 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: What version of FBSD does Yahoo run?

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:39:05PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>: I'm sure that Yahoo, like any large commercial enterprise, has a whole
>: host of specific customizations that they have applied to FreeBSD,
>: and their version of FreeBSD doesen't look like what we have, at least not
>: where the good bits are.
>
>I wonder.  Wouldn't that make keeping up-to-date a lot more difficult?

Not necessarily.  It wouldn't be too difficult at all to even roll their own
release, with all their custom patches, or set up their own source
repo with the patches in place and do cvsup et al from their own
servers.  There are lots of possibilities; the fact that I don't necessarily
know what they all are doesn't negate the probability that they exist.

>I would think most of the mods would be in the apps running on the OS.

Can't say on that one.  FBSD, IIRC and didn't misunderstand, runs
a customized Apache, so it's not out of the realm of reason either.

Kevin Kinsey