Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:12:10 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        kev sadasda <kevcormier@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help how to set up networking for ftp install

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 10:12:59PM -0800, kev sadasda wrote:

> I am trying to install freebsd over ftp but it always
> says, cannot resolve ftp.freebsd.org
>
> I told it to use dchp but it didnt do anything even
> though my router's dhcp server was on. it kept on
> saying
>
> dhcpdiscover on dc0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> interval ..
>
> So I tried to fill in the infos but it always said
> cannot resolve.. as soon as I pressed ok.

It looks like no DHCP server is responding to it.
Is there supposed to be a DHCP server listening to you?
Do you usually use DHCP from that machine?  or do you have to
use a fixed address?   or is this the first time you have tried
to put this machine on the net?

Anyway, if you have to enter your own info, you cannot both
do that and have DHCP turned on.  You have to DHCP setting off
then enter your fixed IP address, your Default Name server, your
default gateway and your netmask as given by your Internet provider.

>From a quick glance, it looks like you are trying to use both DHCP
and fixed IP addresses.   In addition, it looks like the IPs you are
trying to assign are private network IPs rather than public network
addresses.  You need to talk with whoever is providing you network service.

Also, take a look at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
                       http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/privip.htm
   http://www.pku.edu.cn/academic/research/computer-center/tc/html/TC0305.html

And probably some parts of the FreeBSD Handbook

////jerry

////jerry