Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 22:30:46 +0100
From:      Richard Bown <richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: k3b again

On Fri, 09 May 2008 14:39:09 -0500
Thomas Donnelly <tad1214@aol.com> wrote:>
> ><snip>
> > I'm sorry if my comments offend, they are not intended to.
> >

> Well Richard, I am sorry to hear all of the problems you have been
> having. Just a few side notes.
> 1. PC-BSD != Freebsd, I don't use PC-BSD for the same reason I don't
> like Linux or Windows, they are overly user friendly and do
> everything for you, often with unintended side effects when doing
> advanced things.
The reason for the move to FreeBSD was to get away from the software
thats running all the time in the background and is a real pig to
disable, telling you what you can do and not do.
the distribution on the other HD is Mandriva 2008.1. I've been using
MDV since it was started about 5 ~6 years ago, but its got to the state
there's a hidden sorta super root, and its a real pain when trying to
network across the kernel without using squid.
And if it sees public addresses on the same port as the modem it will
disconnect , just happens the cable modem uses a 10.x.x.x address

 2. FreeBSD wasn't designed with workstation use as a
> primary goal, that has become much more popular in recent years, but,
> server use is and probably always will be the primary focus.
OK I accept that premise , but the same applies to nearly all the linux
disros. But seems with linux after the fork the desktop as it evolved
was readily accepted.
> 3. Many of these programs (k3b and the like) were designed for linux
> and ported over to freebsd, there are bound to be some bumps along
> the way.
I don't call non-functional a bump, if it was a case it would burn cd
and not all DVD s thats a bump, to not be able to burn anything is a
major obstacle

4.  If you say I will give it to this and such a time, you
> may as well just cut over now, you are looking for a reason to dump
> the OS.

Not so, I've made quite an investment so far, change the graphics card
as Xorg didn't want to play with  a standard Nvidia FX5500, PCI-express
graphics cards are not cheap, nor was the 250 GB e-SATA HD to put
FreeBSD on.

A week of sheer grief is not just giving up for the sake of it.
But I was aware someone would suggest that excuse

 5. Part of the beauty of FreeBSD is simplicity yet
> complexity. It is not easy to learn, it is not user friendly, sharp
> edges are everywhere because the training wheels are off.

I've no objections to sharp edges if the end result works,
the only way I have of saving date to media is a floppy drive,
may be I should grateful that FreeBSD does support such modern thing as
3 1/2" floppies, could have been 8"disks only

As a design engineer I very aware of sharp edges from either picking up
someone elses fag packet scribbling to taking it from my design to full
production.
And part of any design and application process, is to make the end
results repeatable and allow for tolerances.
You have only got to look at the installation of openoffice, how come
all the linux distros can manage to install it in the most an hour.
lets compare that process in FreeBSD, there's all the flaffing about
manually downloading the Sun packages, openoffice is GTK not java.
so once you done that, if of course Sun's site works properly, you then
get all the problems of changed dependencies, so if your lucky  a days
compiling.
That defies all logic,
Why not be sensible use precompiled libs, and just compile the
applications.
One of the reason for linux becoming slicker is the need to produce a
distro that is commercially viable, to give an effective alternative to
gatesware.
I can't see FreeBSD ever getting to the stage of commercial viability.
And that's why I've put a cut off time of  midnight tonight as the time
when I can no longer afford to spend 18 hours a day trying to reinvent
the wheel, where as I can cut a few spokes out of an existing wheel to
get what I need.
--

Best Wishes
Richard Bown