Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:46:59 +0100
From:      Oliver Peter <hoschi@mouhaha.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building kernel with DEBUG

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:06:19AM -0500, Gerard wrote:
> Near the top of the /usr/src/sys/i386/GENERIC file, is the line:
>=20
> makeoptions     DEBUG=3D-g  # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
>=20
> Is this line really necessary? If I don't intend to ever debug a
> kernel, why should I leave it? It would seem like I could
> save some time compiling a kernel if I just remove or commented out
> that line.

I'm sure that the time you took to write this mail was much more than
you will save by removing the debug symbol...  Maybe sometimes you do
intend to debug your kernel because your machine crashed, you don't
know why, ask this list  and a FreeBSD developer ask about the
kernel-dump...  But maybe not.

Good luck.  :-)

--=20
Oliver PETER, email: hoschi@mouhaha.de, ICQ# 113969174
"Worker bees can leave.  Even drones can fly away.
                         The Queen is their slave."

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq--