Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:56:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cloning drivers

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I have a cloning pty driver and cloning bfs and tun and vnode
> drivers as well.

  Can it become more generic so that any driver can be cloned?

  It seems silly to me that I need to recompile the kernel to support an
additional (but identical to the first) ethernet card.

  It seems to me that some of the PCI devices do this somewhat
automatically right now?  IE. if you added a "device de0", it
automatically makes devices de0 to de(N-1) for N DEC ethernet cards?

Tom