Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:58:29 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        <jacco@lionsoft.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "Frank Laszlo" <nez@FREEBSDMATRIX.NET>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Start scripts as "deamons"

Jacco <jacco@lionsoft.xs4all.nl> types:
> # inittab       This file describes how the INIT process should set up
> #               the system in a certain run-level.
> #
>
> # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
> #   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
> #   1 - Single user mode
> #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
> networking)
> #   3 - Full multiuser mode
> #   4 - unused
> #   5 - X11
> #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
>
> processname:23:respawn:scriptname
>

> This means that the script always runs when the machine is up and not at a
> defined time (crontab). You can kill it with a "killall -HUP processname"
> and it comes right back up and running again..... (on my RedHat 6.2 machine
> witch is a bad one and has to be replaced by FreeBSD).
> I'm looking for a similar option in Freebsd.

The tool is still init, but it goes in the ttys file:

	processname	scriptname	terminal	on

scritpname is invoked with processname as an argument. TERM is set to
the value of terminal, and the last status is either on or off to
enable or disable that particular command. See the init(8) man page
for more information. There's an example floating around in the PR
database as well, but I'm not sure what happened to it.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.