Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:28:25 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Gerry Marcelo" <germar@pair.com>, "Random Liegh" <random@random.static.greatland.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How much RAM for newbie install?

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:14:32 -0900 (AKST), Random Liegh wrote:

>I have no
>idea of where the rubber meets the road on setting up servers, so I've no
>idea of what is or isn't possible. Please keep us (or at least *me*)
>posted. :-)

You should post questions of a technical nature to -questions, not
-newbies.  You'll reach a *far* wider audience...

Random:
You might try installing apache from the ports. It's easy. I have years
of professional-level experience with computers and even unix, but I
don't know dick about web servers, and I had it installed and serving
locally (intranet) in about an hour, start to finish. Go with the
standard apache port, sans MS front page extensions, sans SSL (secure),
and just install the basic port.  As Kernighan and Ritchie say,
"...it's best to confuse only one issue at a time".

You may be unaware that when you enter a URL in a browser, you can
actually enter the IP address. Which means you should be able to enter
127.0.0.1 (localhost) and use lynx to get your first page up if you get
apache set up right. This is based on the assumption that your server
and browser are on the same machine... Then you can learn how to setup
a local DNS to resolve the www host name within your domain (the *real*
hostname can be something else, you just add this in as another name it
gets known as).

If you have questions, just post 'em and we'll go after 'em... good
luck!!

Steve Friedrich
Viva la FreeBSD!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.