Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:53:34 -0800
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware Notes, "Boot-time Kernel Configuration"

Hi all--

Unless there's any vehement objection, I'm going to remove the
"Boot-time Kernel Configuration" Section from the i386 hardware notes
for 4.5 (it's already gone from the alpha).  It documents two things: 1)
the drivers in the GENERIC kernel configuration (which is out-of-date,
and doesn't cover the stripped-down kernels at all, which I think is way
more critical).  2) UserConfig (which is better-described in the
Handbook anyways).

I'm hoping that some version of the GENERIC kernel configuration table
will return (ideally, it'd also cover the kernels we put on the
floppies, as well as be multi-architecture).  However, it probably won't
make it in time for 4.5-RELEASE, and I'd rather we send the release out
with less information, rather than information that we know is wrong to
begin with.

Comments?

Bruce.