Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:26:48 -1000
From:      Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 01:33:58PM -0500, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>>> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:50:26 +0100
>>> From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
>>> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>>> Subject: editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U
>>>
>>> My daughter is doing a touch typing course
>>> that presumes MS Word. So far she was fine
>>> with pico, but now they want the kids to
>>> practice CTRL/B (bold), CTRL/I (italic),
>>> CTRL/U (underline). She really needs to use
>>> these particular combinations because that
>>> is how the on-line assessment tool is set out.
>>>
>>> I use nothing but vi, so have no clue which,
>>> if any, editor from ports/editors will have
>>> these particular combinations implemented.
>>>
>>> Please recommend one, preferably as simple
>>> and as small as possible.
>> Sorry *NO* 'text editor' has those capabilities, let alone has
>> them on those key sequences.
>>
>> Those are 'word processor' functions.  word processor' software
>> is required.
>
> I know, I know..
>
> I don't know why in a touchtyping course
> you need to teach kids this, but..
>
> Anyway, abiword seems to do what I need.
>
> Let me know if there's anything lighter.
>
> Many thanks

Aloha

I use abiword and send files in "word" or "text" to my wifes Windows box
for her to use as needed. abiword translates to the MS format if you
daughter has to turn in a file for an assignment.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc@hdk5.net >