Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 00:57:41 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   partition sizes vinum and ccd

Hello all.

Background: I am the technician at a school in the UK. I have to provide
web browsing and email services before the start of the next academic
year. I figured I'd break it down into two parts. Build a local server.
Test during the first term while I build a firewall. Cross fingers and
hope it works.

Hardware: This is what I have to work with. No discussion required here,
the budget is spent.

AMD K6II-500
2x 18Gb SCSI hard disks
256Mb RAM.
SCSI CDRW
Some other stuff...

Software: (suggestions?)
Apache
imap-uw (if fixed) or qpopper?
fetchmail or SMTP forward on the firewall

What I need to know is how best to partition the disks. I have no idea
how big the partitions need to be as there is no existing server. Load
will be maximum 150 Win95 clients, 1500 users. What combination of
vinum,ccd and swap will give me best safety/performance? I've not used
vinum before but as it's a new machine I can always format and use
*normal* partitions if it fries my brain. The machine will double as cvs
repository/buildserver off peak. I recon that's 7Gb /usr plus 1Gb if I
build release. The CDRW will need chunks of 650Mb for spooling file
server(NT) backups. Then web space and mail for each user.

I hope someone can help. Even a df from a similar system would be better
than nothing.

TIA

--
ian j hart
ICT Technician Cardinal Newman Catholic School And Community College