Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:04:19 -0500
From:      "Brad Benson" <brad@cyberix.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Elocin Solutions" <elocin@Mcs.Net>
Subject:   RE: making a cd-rom archive

> I'm attempting to create archive cds.  Basically I don't have enough disc
> space to setup multiple local source trees.  I would like to download all
> the source, docs, ports,  etc and then write my own cd-roms so when I do
> update and or create any boxes they will all have the same system.  As
> well as when I feel a it's time to update I could download the source
> etc and use the cd-rom to keep all machines uniform.  How can I do
> this and make the cd-roms bootable.  Is there a certain layout the boot
> floppy looks for??

I use mkisofs to create bootable ISO images for CD-ROMS. You can get the
packages
from www.freebsd.org. Take a look at the man page and the -b option for
defining
boot floppy image. You can use the "boot.flp" image from the FreeBSD
distribution
for your boot floppy image. The ISO image created by mkisofs can be written
to just
about any CD-R. I usually write my CD's on a M$Win box, but create the ISO
image on
the FreeBSD box.