Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2016 11:42:38 -0700
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hangs with mrsas?

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 02:09:30PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
| I have a new Dell server with a typical Dell hardware RAID.  pciconf
| identifies it as "MegaRAID SAS-3 3008 [Fury]"; mfiutil reports:
|
| mfi0 Adapter:
|     Product Name: PERC H330 Adapter
|    Serial Number: 5AT00PI
|         Firmware: 25.3.0.0016
|      RAID Levels:
|   Battery Backup: not present
|            NVRAM: 32K
|   Onboard Memory: 0M
|   Minimum Stripe: 64K
|   Maximum Stripe: 64K
|
| Since I'm running ZFS I have the RAID functions disabled and the
| drives are presented as "system physical drives" ("mfisyspd[0-3]" when
| using mfi(4)).  I wanted to use mrsas(4) instead, so that I could have
| direct access to the drives' SMART functions, and this seemed to work
| after I set the hw.mfi.mrsas_enable tunable, with one major exception:
| all drive access would hang after about 12 hours and the machine would
| require a hard reset to come back up.
|
| Has anyone seen this before?  The driver in head doesn't appear to be
| any newer.

You could try:
	https://people.freebsd.org/~ambrisko/mrsas.patch
and once you have that then:
	https://people.freebsd.org/~ambrisko/mrsasutil.patch
you can use mrsasutil with it (ie. mfiutil).

Please let me know if that helps.  It's based on -current and helped
with things here.  We also saw a performance increase on RAID controllers
without cache but that could be do to the ioctl path changes I did since
we do a lot of state queries via that.  In theory the syspd from mfi(4)
could be made to work via da(4) but that isn't what LSI did.

Thanks,

Doug A.