Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:31:21 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        web@3dresearch.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Syslog not logging remote host

web@3dresearch.com wrote:

> At 08:48 PM 4/13/2007, you wrote:
> >"Janos Dohanics" <web@3dresearch.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying capture logs from m0n0wall, but the log file is empty.
> > >
> > > Here is my configuration:
> > >
> > > On the logging machine, in /etc/rc.conf:
> > >
> > > syslogd_flags="-a 10.61.70.1"
> > >
> > > In /etc/syslog.conf:
> > >
> > > +10.61.70.1
> > > *.*                                             /var/log/m0n0wall.log
> > >
> > > /var/log/m0n0wall.log exists and writable:
> > >
> > > -rw-rw-r--  1 root  network  0 Apr 13 00:32 /var/log/m0n0wall.log
> > >
> > > The m0n0wall is configured to send logs to 10.61.70.100, which is the
> > > logging machine.
> > >
> > > What am I missing?
> >
> >Start with tcpdump on the receiving machine:
> >tcpdump 'port 514'
> >to see if you're even receiving messages from the monowall machine.
> >
> >If not, then double-check your config on the monowall machine.  If so,
> >check the receiving machine.
> >
> >Did you restart syslogd on both systems after making config changes?
>
> My apologies to everyone trying to help me for wasting their time -
> 10.61.70.100 is happily logging what 10.61.70.1 is sending.
>
> 10.61.70.1 is being logged to /var/log/messages (finally occurred to me to
> check that).
>
> What I'm wondering now is that why is 10.61.70.1 not being logged in
> /var/log/m0n0wall.log? Here is my /etc/syslog.conf:
>
> *.err;kern.warning;auth.notice;mail.crit                /dev/console
> *.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
> /var/log/messages
> security.*                                      /var/log/security
> auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
> mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
> lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
> ftp.info                                        /var/log/xferlog
> cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
> *.=debug                                        /var/log/debug.log
> *.emerg                                         *
> # uncomment this to log all writes to /dev/console to /var/log/console.log
> #console.info                                   /var/log/console.log
> # uncomment this to enable logging of all log messages to /var/log/all.log
> # touch /var/log/all.log and chmod it to mode 600 before it will work
> #*.*                                            /var/log/all.log
> # uncomment this to enable logging to a remote loghost named loghost
> #*.*                                            @loghost
> # uncomment these if you're running inn
> # news.crit                                     /var/log/news/news.crit
> # news.err                                      /var/log/news/news.err
> # news.notice                                   /var/log/news/news.notice
> !startslip
> *.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
> !ppp
> [...]

"Each block of lines is separated from the previous block by a program or
hostname specification.  A block will only log messages corresponding to
the most recent program and hostname specifications given.  Thus, with a
block which selects `ppp' as the program, directly followed by a block
that selects messages from the hostname `dialhost', the second block will
only log messages from the ppp(8) program on dialhost."

Which tells me that your config file is only logging data from ppp on
10.61.70.1 to where you want.  You should be able to move the
+10.61.70.1 before the other program blocks and it should start
working as you expect.  Note, however, that this will break logging
fro slip.log and ppp.log unless you put another + line after it.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com