Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:55:32 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NEVERMIND! Re: Need help: FAIL: Booting 10.3-RELEASE (64) on a VM

In message <38923.1473536960@server1.tristatelogic.com>, I wrote:

>   ACPI BIOS Error (bug): A valid RSDP was not found (20150515/tbxroot-258)
>   panic: running without device atpic requires a local APIC

So, it turns out that there was an obscure little toggle switch in the
VM management console that allows users to disable ACPI in the VM,
and it somehow got inappropriately set to OFF.

(I'm not the least bit sure why such a switch even exits in the VM management
interface.  Why anyone would ever want to intentionally disable ACPI is,
I confess, beyond me.)