Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:26:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot loop in FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE after install

I am trying to install FreeBSD on a Dell Precision 410 workstation.  The
system has two 18G SCSI drives (Seagate ST318203LW) on an Adaptec 7890
SCSI adaptor (BIOS V2.01.05).  I've gone through the entire install and
when the system tries to boot the first time the boot loader loads, then a
huge amount of text scrolls VERY rapidly up the screen [I can see the word
"Can't" but this is scrolling VERY fast], then the system resets (clearing
the screen of course) and the process starts again.

I've searched the archives and the only hint I've seen is using the
install disk to boot then use sysinstall to install a boot manager
(Configure...Fdisk...Select DA0...W).  I did that and the problem
persists.  I do get the "F1...FreeBSD/F5...Disk1" prompt, but pressing
"F1" again starts the boot process, which generates billions (all right,
maybe just millions...) of lines then hard resets the machine and starts
over.

I've tried this install with various partition sizes, including the
defaults and one signle huge partition.  Same symptoms.

I've installed FreeBSD 5.2 on other systems with IDE drives from this same
CD with no problems.  I've also loaned them to others who also have not
had problems.

Can anyone help?  Is there any way to slow the bootup process so I can at
least read the errors?

Thanks,

Mike