Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:29:46 +0000
From:      "Ian Bowers" <icbowers@hotmail.com>
To:        a@jenisch.at
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie question: Gnome 2.6 upgrade

>From: Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
>To: Ian Bowers <icbowers@hotmail.com>
>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: newbie question:  Gnome 2.6 upgrade
>Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:16:14 +0200
>

>On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:16:25AM -0400, Ian Bowers wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble upgrading to gnome 2.6.  I had gnome 2.4
> > installed and running just fine.  I cvsup'd with the ports-supfile,
> > and ran the gnome_upgrade.sh file.
>
>Maybe dumb question: Did you upgrade "ruby" as instructed in
>/usr/ports/UPDATING before upgrading Gnome? (I ran into that trap a
>while ago)

Like a proper n00b, I didn't even know there was such a directory.  I
followed the upgrade FAQ at freebsd.org on the assumption that it was a full
set of instructions.  Thank you very much for this tidbit.  I'll upgrade
ruby and check out that dir.

> > Since running cvsup and the upgrade, I can't run startx like I used
> > to.
>
>Are your problems only related to X11 - or do you have the problems
>when running in "console"-mode too?
>
>Try switching virtual terminals with <Alt><Ctrl><F-key> (like
><Alt><Ctrl><F2>). First of all this switches you out to a
>console-terminal leaving X running and thus gives to the ability to
>track things down further.
>
>-ewald

The problem only seems to be with X11.  I tried running several commands in
console mode that I can normally run from any location and they all worked
fine.  so far startx seems to be the only thing that won't run like it used
to.  I read something about shells having to be rehashed to update the PATH
lines?  I run in bash if that makes a difference.

Thank you very much for your help so far.