Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:09:39 -0500
From:      Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely9.cicely.de>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Munging jmp_bufs on alpha

Doug Rabson wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
> > What is T12 suppose to contain in a normal function call?  Is
> > it always the return address?  Is that dependent on our compiler?
>
> T12 should be set to the address of the called function. Prologue code in
> the called function uses this assumption to initialise GP to the correct
> value for the module containing it. RA will be set to the return address
> by the call instruction itself.

OK, thanks. I think I understand this a little better.

I need to revisit my {get,set,make,swap}context patches, because
libc_r should really be using makecontext instead of having its
own MD macros to munge a jmp_buf.  The alpha is a little tricky
though because a trapframe and sigframe are different formats,
and the *context routines would probably need to recognize the
difference.  I think the kernel needs to get involved in order
to tag them appropriately.

--
Dan Eischen