Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 15:46:21 +0000
From:      eT <edebruin@iname.com>
To:        Wyatt Nordstrom <wyattn@nortel.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real Audio

Wyatt Nordstrom wrote:

> Just a quick note on this topic. The posts got my curiosity up. I
> downloaded and installed the real audio player version 3.0 last
> night. Seemed to work well, except for my cheap sound card. Guess I'll
> upgrade today. Anyways, I noticed that a lot of the Internet only
> radio sites require the real audio player version 5.0. So, I travel
> back to the real audio home page, and try to get the 5.0 version. It
> appears that real audio has determined that for whatever reason, they
> are not supporting real audio above version 3.0 for UNIX systems. This
> is awfull. Of course, they offer the full complimentary ports for the
> windows NT/95/3.1 family of operating systems.

I also did the same research as you, but I found that version 5 HAS been ported to
Linux.  I downloaded the rv50_linux file and got it to run on my 2.2.6-STABLE
using linux_lib.  Only bummer was that I could not hear any sound... i.e. the
player's little marker wasn't moving accross the horizontal bar.

Any reason why this was happening.. I have a cheap ASOUND btw.

Regards

eT