Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:06:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Thomas (Matt) Barton" <matt@fear.net>
To:        Malartre <malartre@videotron.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Typo caused the root user to have no shell

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Malartre wrote:

> I did a directory typo who made the root user to have no shell. I
> wanted to change from csh to bash... The login choke after I enter my
> password. I have no user in the wheel group.
>
> What can I do to edit the file or log as root with sh?

It is all about single user mode on this one.

When FreeBSD pauses at start and lets you press any key to enter options
(or something like that -- can't remember for sure because I never have to
reboot my machines), all you need to do is type "boot -s" and it will put
you in to single user mode.  It will ask you for a shell to use before it
gives you a prompt.  In there you can fix your shell for the root user.

Enjoy.

--

Matt Barton         matt@fear.net
Indianapolis, IN    http://www.mattbarton.ws/