Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:12:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail issues with -STABLE

Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com> wrote:
 > Problems start when I attempt to add an alias for my network card. As
 > suggested in the man page I use the following line to setup the alias
 > from inside the jail:

You cannot change interfaces from inside a jail, as this
would have an impact on the whole system.  You must set up
the interface from outside of your jails.  I think this is
described in the manual page.

 > However I am root inside the jail (observed with id(1)) so I do not
 > fully understand why I would be denied this action.

See above.  Being root in a jail doesn't mean much.

 > Also dmesg and top
 > do not work, exiting with:
 >
 >  kvm_open: short read
 >  top: kvm_read for _ccpu: Undefined error: 0
 >
 > I'm assuming that this is because /kernel inside the jail is linked to
 > /dev/null, but I wanted to make sure that this is normal behaviour...

Nope, you don't need a /kernel, but you need a /dev/kmem
device inside the jail.  If you create it, dmesg and top
will work.  However, this might be a security concern.
If you don't really need dmesg and top within jails, don't
do it.  You usually don't need them.

Regards
   Oliver