Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:24:39 +0000
From:      "Alexandre Vieira" <nullpt@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netra T1 105 (sparc64) optimization

Hi,

I'm responsible for building a testbed for a network service solution and I
was given some old hardware to work with.

For example, I have a netra T1 105 working as a bridge between two vlans in
order to use ipfw+dummynet to create packet loss and latency tests in a
platform that was already deployed (quick and dirty solution). At the moment
I configured the machine to do the job and made some benchmarks but haven't
yet optimized anything so I can benchmark it later on to see the
optimizations effect.

This is the first time Im working with a sparc64 box with freebsd and I
would like to know what improvements can be done in terms of specific
sparc64 optimizations (ex. gcc flags/cputype), kernel/tunables
recommendations, comments onthis specific job (bridging and messing with the
packets in layer 3) or any other usefull info.

You can find the base configuration of the machine here:
http://nullpt.googlepages.com/netra.txt
Thanks in advance for your time!
Regards,
--