Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:52:22 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Status of 6.0 for production systems

More lack of access to hardware - he doesen't need to have the hardware
in possession to work on this stuff.  If you setup a system with for
example a dodgy controller in it, on the Internet that he can get at,
that would probably work just as well or even better.

>I assume we don't have enough volume to interest many hardware
>manufacturers into developing FreeBSD drivers for their hardware.  BUT,
>do our driver developers get early access to specs and (if it would
>help) source code to other drivers?  What would that take?  Do we have
>relationships with hardware manufactures to get samples and prototypes
>for our driver developers?  Or, do we simply have to wait and buy retail
>versions of the hardware?

Most companies that do not make programming info available to the public
on a website or some such,
want you to sign an NDA which kills chances of developing open source
drivers for the hardware.  For example Nvidia.  My experience in getting
eval gear is usually if the manufacture does have an eval program, they
run it through a reseller, and resellers aren't interested in anything
that
doesen't create money for them.  So if your a big company with an
existing
relationship with a reseller and you have bought a lot of gear
previously,
the reseller will take the time to process the paperwork to get you eval
copies of things.  Otherwise if your a nobody to the reseller, you call
them and they never call you back.

The real problem I am afraid is that not many people go out and buy brand
new hardware specifically to run FreeBSD.  They go out and buy brand new
hardware to run the latest bloated version of Windows, then they take
last
years' hardware that was running Windows perfectly fine until the next
version of Windows came out, and want to use it for FreeBSD and then
bitch when drivers aren't available.

The solution is getting the people who write RFP's for a living for new
hardware, to include FreeBSD as a mandatory operating system that
the hardware must be compatible with, even though the intended use of
the hardware is Windows.  This requires people to plan for the future
which is of course, rather difficult.

Ted