Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:30:44 -0500
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: remote install of 6.2

> I have a remote machine running 4.8-p21.  The system has two disks in
> it, but only one is used on a daily basis (the other is filled via dd
> every now and then).
>
> I want to get this remote machine running 6.2, so I figured I'ld
> install the new OS on the second disk, then boot off the second disk,
> leaving the original first disk with all the user data on it (plus as
> a way to back out).
>
> When I try to use /stand/sysinstall for this it seg-faults
> early in the installation, but after the "Commit" step.

Hi Jerry,

If you have a 6.2 machine handy, you can create dump files of each
filesystem using dump(8), cpio(1) or pax(1) or whatever you're used
to.

Ship those dump files to your 4.8 machine via scp(1). Then use
bsdlabel(8) to partition your second hard disk (the one you whish to
install 6.2 on). Create filesystems on those new partitions. Mount
those new filesystems into a chroot, for example /mnt/root, /mnt/usr,
/mnt/var, etc. Then extract your dump files onto those new partitions.
Don't forget to install a boot block on your disk with `bsdlabel -B`
or with boot0cfg(8). That should do it.

If you need more detailed step-by-step instructions, just say so, I'll
send something on the list.

Have fun,

David
--