Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:41:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: per-device sysctls

In message: <3062.1077827962@critter.freebsd.dk>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: In message <20040226.130330.54448406.imp@bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" writes:
:
: >: Just for the record:  Having based this on newbus it only documents
: >: hardware-anchored device drivers.  I don't know if this is going to
: >: be a limitation we will have to address or not, but I think you should
: >: reserve the toplevel name "pseudo" or "sw" or similar as a placeholder
: >: for non-hardware device drivers, just in case.
: >
: >There's not really a tree for pseudo devices right now.  They just are
: >kludged into the system any old way that they can be at the moment.
: >They aren't part of the hardware device hierarchy.
:
: As long as we agree that this is for hardware only and limited to
: that, then I have no problems.
:
: I still think it prudent to nail down "pseudo" or "sw" or something
: should we change our mind.

We should nail that down when we decide on the mechanism for dealing.

Warner