Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:42:18 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forum for discussing 'make release' issues

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 11:09:15PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Brian Reichert wrote:
> > Can someone suggest the be FreeBSD mailing list wherein I could
> > explore issues I'm having with trying to build a 4.6-STABLE release
> > on a 4.5-RELEASE box?
> >
> > I don't know if this is a -hackers question, or a -stable question,
> > or what.  (I've looked at the list of lists majordomo knows about,
> > and I don't see what would be a good fit...)
> >
> > Thanks for any input...
>
> I don't see anyone else answering, but...
>
> This configuration is not supported"(tm).

Darn.

> Posting the precise symptoms of the failure on -hackers is probably
> your best change for an answer; if anyone is doing this, it's there.

Ok, thanks.

> Is this just to upgrade?

No.

What I had hoped to do was maintain a single build box, on
which I could maintain the presence of several releases.

I had explored trying to mirror various FTP archives, but I was
finding difficult to gauge what I needed for diskspace, and how to
selectively pare out what parts I didn't want or need.  There doesn't
seem to be a canonical description of how that gets laid out, WRT
symlinks and whatnot...

I found that it was easy enough to keep a mirror of the source tree,
as I can extract whatever flavor of source I want.  I had a fantasy
that that would give me the stepping stone I needed.

But, it seems not to be.  Oh, well.  It was only an experiment. :/

I _wish_ vmware would behave for me...

> It it works, great, but it's not a project goal.

Noted.

Thanks for the feedback...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842