Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 12:13:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        tshansen@ucsd.edu (Todd Hansen)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Can't send local mail (or use bash) after recompiling kernel

Todd Hansen writes:
> I was fooling with the kernel configuration.
> And recompiled. I am using 2.1.6 #0. Now, I rebooted and everything
> seems to be working fine. Then I tried to send mail to my friend (local
> account) and it gave me an error that it could not execute mail.local. I
> have checked the file it listed (directory too) and it has the correct
> priviliges as a matter of fact, anybody can execute it.
>
> Anyway, I freaked out, recompiled the old (prechanges old kernel) and it
> rebooted with the same problems.
>
> As it turns out, (I just figured this out, halfway through this e-mail)
> is that nobody can execute anything unless they are in group 0 (wheel).
> I am in group wheel so I didn't notice, but my friends noticed when they
> couldn't execute there login shells.
> All of the priviliges seem right and everthing seems to be working. Any
> suggestions. I just recompiled the kernel.
>
> I can start over with a generic kernel, but not until I get a chance to
> visit my computer screen as I have to run a boot config for it to even
> boot.

There's no reason to believe that this problem relates to the kernel,
so installing another kernel will probably not help much.  I'd guess
that you have a directory permission problem.  Check these:

$ ls -ld /usr/bin /bin /usr/libexec
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin  bin  1024 Feb  1 15:41 /bin
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin  bin  6144 Feb  1 15:53 /usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x  5 bin  bin  1024 Feb  1 15:53 /usr/libexec

> Anyway, I am sort of mad becuase I don't want to have to reinstall
> freebsd again. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Reinstalling a complete operating system is overkill for just about
any problem you might have.

Greg